Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, September 5, 2008

34 Weeks and Shingles....

Yesterday afternoon I had my 34 week Dr. appointment and baby girl is doing well and getting big but I had some unexpected news. On Monday I noticed that I had some red bumps under my right arm that looked almost like hives or some kind of rash. I also had what looked like a ring of them in between my shoulder blades on my back which I thought might be ring worm...boy was I wrong! As the week has progressed the ones under my arm started to blister and scab...yeah I know gross huh?! Ryan & I both thought that I had gotten poison ivy from him on Saturday; he was in the woods putting up deer stands with his dad. I knew I had my appointment yesterday afternoon so I just thought if it wasn't any better I could ask my Dr. to see what she recommended especially since I didn't know what was safe to put on it. I showed it to her and told her what Ryan and I suspected. She asked if it was painful at all and I told her that it had been hurting some. She said she thought it looked like shingles which really caught me off guard. Thankfully there is a dermatologist office right next to hers so she called him to see if he might be able to fit me in. About 15 minutes later he showed up at her office to look at my funky rash which was super nice of him. He thought it was shingles too and told me the only way to know for sure is to do a scrape test and send it to the lab, so off to his office I went to get tested. After filling out paper work I was expecting to have to wait a while but they got me right in and were really nice. A nurse called this morning to let me know that the test came back positive for shingles. So for the next week I will faithfully take my Valtrex (shingles is a form of the herpes virus) and hope and pray that it clears up. Thankfully it will have no effect on the baby which was my main concern. I just hope that it doesn't get worse...right now it doesn't feel great but the pain is tolerable. If you would please keep me in your prayers I would really appreciate it! I'll keep you updated and I'm still planning on getting some pictures up this weekend so stay tuned....

4 comments:

tleaf10 said...

Hey John had that herpes virus too ... I guess there always has to be a couple dirty ones in the family :) you know I'm kidding! Sorry you are having to deal with that ... I hope it doesn't cause you any discomfort and goes away fast! Glad your apptmt went well. Keep up the good work! love ya,
TL

Bev said...

You have to haVE HAD CHICKEN POX TO EVER HAVE SHINGLES. aMY WS THE 2ND PEDIATRIC CASE OF SHINGLES IN lOWNDES cO., WHEN SHE HAD THEM IN 5TH GRADE. i KEPT HER HOME A WEEK SO SHE WOULDN'T SCRATCH AND INFECT THEM. HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON. XO STEVE7BEVERLY P.S. I AM TYPING THIS IN THE DARK AND MUST HAVE HIT THE ALL CAPS KEY--OH WELL...

Jill said...

Kristen,
That is the pits!!! Not what you need when your expecting....or any other time!
Winston has them also...he has not gone to the dr of course, but several people have told us that is what he has! They flair up when he is real stressed....he gets them under his arms & down his sides a little. Take care & we are so proud for you & your family on the birth of the future Blount/Horne baby girl!!! Your Dad & Mom will be great baby spoilers!!!

Adawk said...

hope you feel better.